Get WPFTS Pro today with 25% discount!

Trying to setup on a utf8mb4 site

• Hi,

A fantastic plugin. I've just updated from (I think) a version 1.1 of the plugin, to the latest 1.32.90 - along with updating to WP 5.5 🙂

Unsurprisingly it was asking to rebuild the index, so I clicked the rebuilt button, but it never completed.

Doing a bit of detective work, it seems to be, where it drops all the tables, then recreates them I'm getting the following:

[12-Aug-2020 13:38:08 UTC] WordPress database error Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes for query CREATE TABLE wpftsi_index (
    id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
    tid bigint(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
    tsrc varchar(255) NOT NULL,
    tdt datetime NOT NULL default '1970-01-01 00:00:00',
    build_time int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
    update_dt datetime NOT NULL default '1970-01-01 00:00:00',
    force_rebuild tinyint(4) NOT NULL default '0',
    locked_dt datetime NOT NULL default '1970-01-01 00:00:00',
    PRIMARY KEY (id),
    UNIQUE KEY tid_tsrc_unique (tid,tsrc),
    KEY tid (tid),
    KEY build_time (build_time),
    KEY force_rebuild (force_rebuild),
    KEY locked_dt (locked_dt),
    KEY tsrc (tsrc)
    ) ENGINE=InnoDB AUTO_INCREMENT=1 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci made by do_action('wp_ajax_wpftsi_submit_rebuild'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, WPFTS_Core->ajax_submit_rebuild, WPFTS_Index->create_db_tables

select VERSION();
    returns:
    10.1.45-MariaDB-0+deb9u1

So for now I'm stuck. I think the problem, is utf8mb4 doesn't seem to allow an index longer than 191 characters when using utf8mb4 😞

https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/04/02/the-utf8mb4-upgrade/

Talks about making sure indexes are the less that 191 long. Is there a way out of this, other than going back to the old version?!

Many thanks.

Rupert

• Thank you for this report. We are working on this fix now. Should be ready in the nearest hours.

• Well, first of all, MariaDB 10.1.x that you're using is equal to MySQL 5.6, exactly has the limitation of 767 bytes for index prefix. In MySQL 5.7 and higher (MariaDB 10.2+) this limitation was extended to 3072 bytes which is covering the issue.

But since we still have a lot of users who are using MySQL 5.6 currently, we going to limit index size to 191 symbols. Because nobody actually uses such long text values.

• Hi, @ruperte
    We just released a new version of WPFTS v1.33.92. It has the index size issue fixed.

Please, could you try it and tell me if it fixes your problem?

• Hi,

Just installed, it's re-indexed everything fine and is working great now.

Many thanks for the fast turn around.

Rupert

Suggested Topics

Be the first to read the news!

We are always improving our products, adding new functions and fixes. Subscribe now to be the first to get the updates and stay informed about our sales! We are not spammy. Seriously.

Join Us Now!

We are a professional IT-team. Many of us have been working in a Web IT field for more than 10 years. Our advanced experience of software development has been employed in the creation of the WordPress FullText Search plugin. All solutions implemented into the plugin have been used for 5 or more years in over 60 different web-projects.

We are looking forward to your comments, requests and suggestions in relation to the current plugin and future updates.

ewm-logo-450

The forum powered by NodeBB | Contributors